Sabriel (The Abhorsen Trilogy, #1) by Garth Nix

This is wonderful fresh take on magic. It’s one of those books that comes close to my ear and reminds me, “This is why you love fantasy!”

Here’s what it’s about. Just on the other side of the wall is a world where the line between the living and the dead is vague, where dead spirits come back to life. So it is the respected job of the Abhorsen to use the powers of Free Magic and the Charter to keep the dead within the gates of Death. However, Sabriel’s father, the Absorsen, is trapped in Death somewhere in the Old Kingdom. And so Sabriel must take on the responsibility as the next Abhorsen in order to save her father and to stop the powers of the dead from engulfing her world.

It sounds like one of those YA fantasy books where the female heroine is out to save the world, isn’t it? There are many books that star tough women too masculine and heartless. Sabriel, though, is portrayed as a realistic woman with human feelings.

Also, Garth Nix does an excellent job in building the world of the novel. It’s an interesting mixture of medieval and technology. As the story begins with no foreword we emerge into this world confused at the unfamiliar terms and concepts. As the story progresses, clarifications are hinted at, and a rich image builds in our heads.

Sabriel could be a great stand alone, but there is more yet to be explored in this realm. I’ll love to delve deeper in the following books.