Frankenstein by Mary Shelley This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Frankenstein is a story that has been slowly destroyed over the years. Hardly anyone knows the real tale. They think he was a mad scientist, bent on the destruction of mankind. They think the monster was created to destroy or be destroyed. And then there's Igor. Where did he come from?

Actually, none of those things have anything to do with Frankenstein. It is, in reality, two stories in one.

First it's the story of a man named Victor, who loves science. And that love drives him to create a demon. He is then a man haunted by his terrible mistake, which causes the deaths of his friends and family. Slowly but surely, throughout the story, Victor breaks down and goes insane.

Frankenstein is then the story of a wretch who wants to be accepted by all mankind, despite his hideous appearance. But after being rejected by a family he believed loved him, he seeks revenge on Victor for creating him. He is a creature created to know love and kindness, but finds only rejection. He begins a rampage of destruction. He blames his actions and his anger on his maker, not realizing he and no one else has control over his actions.

I believe we can all relate to Victor and the wretch in one way or another. We have all made mistakes, some embarrassing, others haunting, all causing us pain in some way. We have all experienced rejection and we have all felt hate at some point in our lives.

Frankenstein is a novel that reaches into the human psyche to show a reflection of ourselves, past, present, or future. It's an amazing read and, for a 19th century novel, was easier to get through than I thought.

Britty12 said...
Mar. 12, 2013 at 7:18 pm:
This is just a quick question do you know when you published this?

TheJustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:15 pm :
When it was first published on the site? March 17, 2010. As for when it was published in the magazine, I don't remember.

Msrbl@Bst said...
Wow great review! I always heard that this story was boring but after seeing this I think I'll read it! Thanks! :D 

BlackHoleHighAlumThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 2, 2010 at 1:31 pm :
You should! It's amazing!! :)