Diving For Roses | Teen Ink

Diving For Roses MAG

Diving for Roses by Patricia Windsor

I know a review is supposed to be written right after the book comes out, but this is absolutely the best book I have ever read. It was published in 1976, long before I was even able to read.

Diving for Roses by Patricia Windsor, is the story of a 17-year-old girl named Jean. Jean has graduated from high school and lives completely isolated from society with her mother and their maid. Her mother is an alcoholic who mopes around the house all day in her bathrobe and slippers. They live alone on a hill overlooking the town. People in town consider Jean and her mother crazy. They spend all their time at home and manage to stay out of everyone's way.

Jean likes to take her horse on rides in the woods around her house. While on one of these rides she discovers a wandering hippie named Sasha who has been living in a tent on her property.

Jean's initial anger at Sasha slowly turns to a sort of curious fear and a relationship between the two emerges. When autumn comes and Sasha leaves, Jean is depressed and lonely again. She also has something awful to tell him and Jean is terrified of what will happen.

This book is written in a very loose sort of way with many insightful observations made by Jean and very little dialogue. By the end of the book, both Jean and her mother have completely turned their lifestyles around. This book reads almost like a long poem. It is different from any other book I have ever read. I can't imagine that anyone who reads it would not love it as much as I did. .

Review by A. K., Sanbornton, NH

i love this !

lois said...
on Aug. 3 2011 at 9:00 am
I read this book back when I was in high school (1982) and I loved it also