The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd | Teen Ink

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd MAG

March 26, 2010
By Claire Scavone BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Claire Scavone BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A heart-warming story written beautifully by Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees tells the story of Lily, a young girl living in the 1960s when segregation was at its peak. In the story, Lily lives with her father, T-Ray, after losing her mother in a devastating accident when she was very young. T-Ray is the only one with complete knowledge of the accident, but Lily has retained a few significant images that give her an idea of what happened, all the while hoping her recollection is not true. Lily flees life with her brutal father to search for more answers to her mother's past, taking her housekeeper Rosaleen with her.

In vivid detail, Kidd creates a clear story that keeps you thinking about what will happen next, always hitting you with a surprise. All will be enthralled by the depth and detail this author creates.

The Secret Life of Bees is a book that mothers and daughters will cherish, highlighting the importance of this relationship. Lily's thoughts and senses are described so beautifully and clearly that you feel connected to the characters.

I suggest The Secret Life of Bees to any female who enjoys a realistic story with a little history mixed in. Overall, it is moving with likeable characters, an interesting setting, and an intriguing plot that will keep you hooked. It is now a major motion picture that most will enjoy and leave with an unforgettable message.