The Witch Of Blackbird Pond This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Imagine coming from the "shimmering turquoise water of Barbados" to the "bleak shore line" of Connecticut. Katherine, a young girl, had to go through this tremendous experience in The Witch of Blackbird Pond. The author, Elizabeth George Speare, tells this stimulating story about a girl who tries to fit into the obstinate town of Wethers-field. The whole town, from the moment she first set foot on shore, had an evil eye on her, because rumors had spread that she could swim, a sign of witchcraft. Speare blends historic 1600's and the Puritan revolt into a thrilling novel.

The setting of this tiny town is what I enjoyed the most. Speare's descriptive passages gave me a vivid picture of the town, "The shore was muffled in thick scarves of drifting mist." The bleak gray setting of the river that engulfed their town gave a mood to the story of the laborious life that settlers had to endure. The setting seemed to hold together this delightful tale as yarn holds together a rug.

Elizabeth Speare wrote one of the best historic fiction stories I have ever read. It won my approval because its wonderful descriptions of water kept me interested. .

Liz said...
I loved that book so much! I agree with your review.