Politically Correct Bedtime Stories | Teen Ink

Politically Correct Bedtime Stories MAG

By Anonymous

   On the best-seller lists for months, for those who haven't read it, the title alone says it all.

The bedtime stories, which range from "The Emperor's New Clothes" to "Jack and the Beanstalk," are all altered to umm ... well ... fit into our politically correct world.

With the use of circumlocutions and euphemisms like "economically disadvantaged," Garner has a field day retelling these sexist, ageist tales like "Little Red Riding Hood" and "Cinderella." The reader is sure to have a good laugh. To make the stories even more ridiculous, Garner also gives all of these stories very different endings. Just the thought of reading these rehashed fairy tales to children will induce giggles.

The book does indeed make fun of political correctness but it can be amusing to read even for the most politically correct person. It is only entertaining if the reader is at least moderately familiar with the numerous roundabout phrases this book is full of. Politically Correct Bedtime Stories is a funny and creative "processed tree carcass." It will charm those of us who are politically correct and those of us who aren't. Thirteen bedtime stories are featured in the book. The funniest one, "Snow White," will make you hope for a sequel. .