Twilight. Sink or Swim? by Stephine Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight. Sink or Swim? by Stephine Meyer

By Riley141 GOLD, Yale, Michigan
Riley141 GOLD, Yale, Michigan

" Always do right. This will gratifiy some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

There is no doubt that Stephanie Meyer captivates her readers with her writing. Surely, most everyone has heard of The Twilight Saga.Thought the question in my head that is still reacquiring is; "Was it really that good of a book?"
When I read the book I must admit that I was in a (somewhat) trance. Everyone loves Edward right? Well Stephanie uses vague words like "beautiful" to describe him. And the adaptation of the film didn't exceed my expectations. I know that everyone says the books are better than the movies . But shouldn't they compete? At least a little? Also, in the book, Bella doesn't seem like a normal , everyday teenager. Bella, in my head sounded to much like a maid, I mean Charlie is incapable to cook every once in a while? Also, Bella seems to do All the cleaning. I mean don't get me wrong, a child/teenager should have chores but really? She was washing his bed sheets! If I were in that position I would say "Charlie get of your butt." Maybe not that harshly but he seems to just sit around an watch TV or be at work and the occasional fishing.
Over a period of time Edward starts to stalk Bella! He would climb through her window to watch her sleep! And because shopping is either illegal or very very dangerous Edward followed Bella, Angela and Jessica to Port Angles. And no offence to Stephanie but was the part with the rapists necessary?
Over all this book , in my head , had many flaws. But it did show that love can over power everything else. I guess once a Harry Potter fan always a Harry Potter Fan!

No offence to Twihards!!

Riley141 GOLD said...
Riley141 GOLD, Yale, Michigan

I'm glad someone finaly agrees! Twilight has become a steryo-type know and I know that it realy was not that great of a book. The book it self was vage, and didn't slow down to describe small fetures. That would have been awsome. Thanks for commenting!

(P.S. Sorry about the spelling!)

on Apr. 11 2010 at 12:57 am
WillowLightfoot BRONZE, Nevada, Iowa
I will give her this, though. For all of the fails in the book, she was able to write an addictive series. That's hard to do. You can hate yourself the whole time, but you still want to finish reading all of the books, even if you know how they end. So kudos for that, Stephanie.

on Apr. 11 2010 at 12:56 am
WillowLightfoot BRONZE, Nevada, Iowa

I would say Stephanie's biggest flaw in the books is that she tried to do what every good writer knows is impossible--she tried to create the "perfect" character. Seriously, he has NO flaws.

Back in MY day, vampires were evil and burst into flames when they walked into sunlight--THAT is hardcore. They didn't stand there and sparkle.

"oo ima scawy vampiwre. fear mah sparkle!!!" -proceeds to sparkle blindingly-

What I think is really sad is that there are girls out there that will go on about how they want "their edward." This series is telling girls that it is healthy to feel constantly insecure and inferior in their relationships, which I find extremely unhealthy. I don't want a guy who makes me feel terrible about myself, I want someone who I see as an equal and treats me as one as well.

All in all, Harry will always win when he is brought against Twilight ;)

Riley141 GOLD said...
Riley141 GOLD, Yale, Michigan

Koudos to Stephine, though, writing a book is hard!!