The Skin I'm In by Sharon G. Flake

“Them boys say they’re ganna beat me worse than the beat John-John. I ain’t saying nothing. My eyes are closed and pee is about to pour outta me like water ”. This quote demonstrates how scared Maleeka was trying to save her friends from some bullies. The Skin I’m In, by Sharon G. Flake, is the number one book that you wouldn’t want to stop reading until you’ve finished the whole book.

This novel teaches a lesson about learning to love you complexion. In this book a girl named Maleeka has been teased ever since she was in 2nd grade, which burned her with a low self-esteem. The one thing that Maleeka got teased about was what swore because her mother sowed most of her cloth, and she wasn’t such a good sewer. Then one day an African American teacher came to Maleeka’s school and had nothing but good things to say about how beautiful Maleeka was. But Maleeka did not seam to like those compliments. To know what Maleeka does next you’ll have to read this wonderful novel.

In my own opinion, I really liked The Skin I’m In, because of how realistic it is and how there was so many exciting events that made you keep wanting to turn the page. From my experiences when I started reading this book I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it, but then when I finished the novel I became hooked to the authors writing pieces. Well this writing piece. The way the author finished each sentence or phrase made it easier for me to understand what I was reading. Sharon G. Flake also made this novel with “slang” which I can relate to because that’s how I be talking with my friends.

The Skin I’m In, the best novel I’ve read so far by Sharon G. Flake, is packed with so many surprises. You never know what will happen next. I would have to rate this novel a 4 out of 5 stars because the events are. Sharon G. Flake made the characters go through some exciting and some depressing events that makes this novel seam a lot like real life. I just can’t wait to read more novels by Sharon G. flake.