Girl Overboard by Justina Chen Headly | Teen Ink

Girl Overboard by Justina Chen Headly

By mgirma12 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
mgirma12 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

As you read about Syrah’s personality, her hobbies, and likes and dislikes you realize that she isn’t your average teenager. She has mostly everything a teenager could ever wish for. After all, her father IS a billionaire. But, she faces many ups and downs after a horrifying accident. Although Syrah’s half siblings may dislike Syrah at first, they change throughout the book. For example, her half sister, Grace, thinks of her as the little useless girl, which worries Syrah because she believes that Grace won’t like her. As for Wayne, Syrah thinks they will never get along. This text shows how Justina Chen Headly writes all her books, including Girl Overboard, with so much style. Girl Overboard, a thrilling novel by Justina Chen Headly, is a book you will never put down.

Girl Overboard is a novel full of surprises. Syrah Cheng, the main character, gets into a horrible accident while hitting the slopes and it changes many things in her life. With her father, Ethan Cheng, being a billionaire it also changes the way people think of Syrah. Syrah’s parents aren’t very supportive, although Syrah wishes they were. The only place where Syrah feels free may be a place where she can never return. Towards the end of the book, Syrah holds a snowboarding event for Amanda, Syrah’s friend’s sister, and hopes it turns out to be memorable. Amanda, a unique, smart, and pleasant young girl, has leukemia. In addition, Syrah goes to Vancouver to find her distant family members and she realizes that it turns out to be an unforgettable trip. Justina Chen Headly definitely makes sure that the reader will get interested in it no matter what happens during the book.

The characters of Girl Overboard are so alive, realistic, and genuine. The characters in this book are so different from characters in other novels. Though Justina Chen Headly wrote this book in only Syrah’s point of view, it was still very interesting because it included Syrah’s thoughts and feelings about everything that was said. This novel is very powerful to any readers’ eyes. The theme of this book would be dealing and accepting who you are and your family members and what you already have. Syrah Cheng tries to do something in her community, which makes her such a diverse person. As you keep reading this novel you realize that you should be helpful and beneficial to your community as well, just like Syrah.

I would recommend Girl Overboard to any young adult who enjoys reading books full of excitement, drama, and secrets. Any reader will be left hanging once they complete this book I would rate this book a 4.5 out of 5. The way Justina Chen Headly writes her books are so impressive it would make anyone want to read it. In addition, Syrah Cheng is a character you would want to be friends with right away. You will learn so much from her. Girl Overboard, a fiction novel, is a book you will never forget.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book. Although it had some gloomy moments, those were the parts that made it such a marvelous book. By the time you finish Girl Overboard, you will probably think to yourself, Wow this book is so unique and extraordinary. I believe people will be so satisfied by this book because after you finish reading it you will want to reach high towards your dreams. Girl Overboard is so different from other book because of the characters, the writing, and the little things that make you just keep reading. All in all, Girl Overboard is such a wonderful book because of its strong vocabulary, author’s writing style, and characters’ personality.

In conclusion, Girl Overboard is a perfect book for a young adult. This book is full of amazing things that you will always remember. Even though Syrah may not be the same age as you, you will make connections with her instantly. Also, as you keep reading you will realize that this book is only getting better. With all the times of happiness and distress, every character in this novel will make you absolutely amazed. Therefore, if you would like to read a thrilling novel only one title sums it all up, Girl Overboard by Justina Chen Headly

Bezu said...
on Mar. 29 2010 at 12:45 pm
Way to go, Maki!!!

Abel said...
on Mar. 27 2010 at 5:03 pm

Hey Maki,

You are making us very proud. Keep up the good work.

on Mar. 6 2010 at 1:20 pm
THANKS!! but you don't like any of the books i recommend to youu :( but yours is super geat !!!!

on Mar. 6 2010 at 9:40 am
Ladekeye BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Great job Makeda you didnt even need my help with the revision . . . it would have gotten up ALL on its own. I luv it and i actullay want to read the book!

on Mar. 5 2010 at 6:53 pm
lol yoonjin... thanks guys!!!

on Mar. 5 2010 at 5:47 pm
alwaysummer BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Yesterday isn't ours to recover but tomorrow is ours to discover

that must be u lillian!!!! balletgirl96?! :D makeda i was just looking at my review then i clicked next and here u are!!! it's faaaab!!!! i totally think it roxxx <3 me.. off coursee guess whoooo

on Mar. 4 2010 at 8:14 pm
balletgirl96 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"No one can tell you how small you are you decide how big you'll be."

AWSOME REVIEW!!!!!!!!! i want to see more!