the lightning thief by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

the lightning thief by Rick Riordan

March 1, 2010
By Daniel Roth BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Daniel Roth BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Percy Jackson an average 12 year old finds out his father is the god of the sea! When you hear about Greek battles and gods have you ever thought one of the gods were your father or mother? Of course not neither did Percy. But then when a Minotaur attacked his mother and him his father claimed him changing his life forever. The lightning thief, a book by Rick Riordan, is one of the most interesting books I have ever read.


When Rick Riordan wrote the lighting thief he had one thing in mind for sure it is not real. It is a fantasy book. But the author makes you want the book to be real. With the writing style of Rick Riordan the story is action packed with a bunch of humor in one book. When I hear a book that is by Rick Riordan, I yell I want that book.












Percy Jackson encounters many evil monsters but you must wonder were do they come from? They come from Tartarus, a horrifying place with fire and lava. Also Percy isn’t the only child of the big three gods. Whenever Thalia the daughter of Zeus wants, she can use the power of the sky, such as calling down the power of lightning. But one problem is Thalia is in a tree that protects camp half blood, read the book for more information about that.


I think the book is saying a few things, like some things aren’t what they seem to be. Why do I think that? Well one reason is Percy thought everything was normal like storms are made from scientific reasons. But Percy found out it was Zeus the lord of the sky. Also Percy thought his father got lost in a fishing trip, but he was actually god of the sea. Those reasons are why I think that is what the story is saying.




Many books get bad ratings and many get good ones. I am rating the lighting thief five stars because it’s loaded with humor and interesting facts about Greek history. This book always finds a way to make any one surprised. I would always read a page and get shocked then I would turn the page and laugh. I would recommend this book to anyone.


As the book goes on it gets more and more exciting. The reason is it leads up to an epic battle between Percy and Ares. There are two out comes if Percy wins the war will be stopped, and if Ares wins Olympus is doomed! This is why I believe this is one of the most fascinating stories ever. Now put your self in Percy’s shoes and hold the burden of Olympus!