Black And White by Paul Volponi | Teen Ink

Black And White by Paul Volponi

March 1, 2010
By Johnaten BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Johnaten BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Basketball, pro basketball, family, best friend, cops, court, upstate, and the gun will all be traveling up in Marcus and Eddies head after what happened to both of them. The separate court sentence and the over night jail they went to. As Marcus’s mother struggles to put food on the table for him and his sister while she bails his first born and only son out of jail. And she can’t afford a good lawyer. While Eddie’s parent could to get him out of this case. The case is about a stickup after a basketball game that had been won by two thugs. By the time you read half of this book you’ll see the true meaning of friend ship. You should read this book at least once in your lifetime, because on the back it says that it’s “An ALA Best for Young Adults” and “ An ALA Quick Pick Top Ten”.


The genre of this book is realistic-fiction. The style of the author is written every other chapter for each character and labeled it “Black” or “White”. I like the way he did each chapter, by seeing the character’s point of view. I also like how it ended. It ended like a movie. The only thing that I dislike about this book is that it ended.


The best friends are trying to go to college and get a scholarship to go to the NBA. Black isn’t allowed to play basketball for the school because he was plead guilty in court for the stickup that accorded that night in the man’s car. The night of the playoffs, Black wasn’t going to play because his principal was the one who said he could play because he was guilty. The night of the playoffs they lost even with White. Later that week Black and white was both plead guilty and was set to upstate (The Big Prison).

I think the theme of this book is that even if he/she is your friend, when you or him/her comes with a bad plan you should help them to avoid it and you should do the same thing. My rating for this book is 4.5 out of 5. 5 are a perfect book for your needs and want. That’s a high score for a book that I just pick out a shelf in a library.


Finally the only thing that would be most care in the mind of Black and White is basketball; family, friends, the gun, NBA, scholarship, the basketball coach, and the crime scene will be traveling in their heads for a long time. I wonder what would happen to Black and White when they are set free. Will they be able to have the same opportunity as the other teenagers?