Percy Jackson and The Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

Percy Jackson and The Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

February 28, 2010
By Anonymous

“Being a half-blood is dangerous. It’s scary. Most of the time, it gets you killed in painful, nasty ways. My name is Percy Jackson. Am I a troubled kid? Yeah. You could say that.”

When asked, many teenagers agree that Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief is a simply astounding book! Written by Rick Riordan in 2005, I feel Percy Jackson is a wonderful read for young teens that love fantasy, action, and just a hint of romance. Our hero, Percy Jackson, is a sixth grader in Manhattan, New York; he is also a half-blood. Half-bloods are the children of the Olympic Greek Gods and Goddesses and their affairs with human men and women. Percy’s friends are Annabeth Chase, a half-blood, Grover, a satyr, or half-man and half-goat, and Chiron, a centaur, half-horse and half-man.

When Percy is attacked by unexplained monsters, Grover takes Percy to Camp Half-Blood. There, Percy learns he is a half-blood and must go on a quest to Hades to retrieve Zeus’s stolen lightning bolt. With Grover and Annabeth along, Percy meets some terrifying creatures and some surprising friends.

I usually am not interested in the Fantasy genre, but Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief completely changed my mind! Teens, if you are interested in Greek mythology and fantasy, Percy Jackson would be amazing!

I’m not going to give away any more of the story, but don’t fret, Percy has many more adventures! Be sure to keep a look out for Rick Riordan’s other four books in the Percy Jackson series: Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Sea of Monsters, Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Titan’s Curse, Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Battle of the Labyrinth, and Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Last Olympian.

Stay safe fellow half-bloods!