Knights of the Hill Country by Tim Tharp This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

This is the story of Hampton Green, a high school kid growing up in Kennisaw, Oklahoma. Although it depicts just one fall football season, it shows Hampton slowly changing and gaining his voice. With his past challenging who he is off the field, he turns to the one place he feels comfortable: the football field.

High school football is the anchor of Hill Country and Hampton is captain of the defense. With four undefeated seasons under their belt, the Kennisaw Knights are the best team around, aiming for their chance at immortality.

Hampton's best friend, Blaine, is the offensive captain, previously the most explosive player in the league. Blaine is a very arrogant and flashy player and person. However, he is slowly deteriorating, which is hidden to everyone except Hampton. Blaine is the leader and star, the one who is supposed to have it all, but because of a secret injury, he starts feeling like he is losing everything and becomes more aggressive both on and off field. With no one challenging his actions, he becomes out of control.

Since this book is written with an Oklahoma accent, it is taxing to read at times and yet somehow this got me more into the story.

With vivid football scenes that make real players' jaws clench and fists tighten, it captures the reader. This is a book for any football fan, player, or just anyone looking to pick up a good book.