Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater | Teen Ink

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

February 25, 2010
By Amanda378 BRONZE, Williamsburg, Maine
Amanda378 BRONZE, Williamsburg, Maine
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Unless it's Mad, Passionate, Extraordinary love, It's a waste of your time. There are too many mediocre things in life-Love shouldn't be one of them"
--Unknown


Published in 2009, Shiver is a compelling novel of true love that not even nature can destroy. It starts with a young woman named Grace. Ever since she was young, she has watched the wolves in the wood behind her yard, but only from a distance. During one of the coldest winters in years, young Grace was pulled from her tire swing by the wolves. After being torn apart for what seemed like an eternity, somehow she was back at her house. Ever since, she has watched. All of the wolves fascinate her, but always one in particular. Her wolf, her yellow eyed wolf.

Sam has been watching Grace from the woods for years, but only in the winter. When the temperature drops, Sam becomes a wolf. This is his last year. He knows that this is his last chance to be with Grace. He tells her all about his life as a wolf, and they truly fall in love. But winter is closing in, and fast. Can Sam and Grace find a cure before it's too late? Or is Sam destined to be a wolf for the rest of his life?

Shiver is a great read that will keep you turning pages until the end. Everyone can appreciate the way Stiefvater shows both Sam and Grace's point of views to help the reader get the most out of their story. I would recommend this book to young adults.