The Catcher In The Rye | Teen Ink

The Catcher In The Rye MAG

By Anonymous

   The Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger was about a troubled teen-ager named Holden Caulfield. Holden's life is one a reader can relate to. This book has a cast of many characters, some who meant a lot to Holden but most I think were just created so Holden could make fun of them. The story tells how Holden gets kicked out of his third prep school just before Christmas. Being afraid to go home and face his parents, Holden spends a few days at a hotel in New York City. During that time Holden's life starts going downhill. But you need to know that he tells his story to a doctor in a mental hospital.

The language in this book is a bit strong but I liked that because Holden is a teenager and if he did not have foul language with his kind of personality, this book would be phony. It was hard for Holden to get along with people. The only person who I think he got along with was his sister, Phoebe. She is the only person who understands him. Another important character is Holden's late brother, Allie. After Allie's death, Holden starts not to care about his life.

J.D. Salinger wrote a terrific book. If I were to rate this book from one to ten, I would rate it a ten, because I enjoyed it very much. The character Holden has an interesting life to read about. If you have time, borrow The Catcher In The Rye at your local library. Trust me, you will enjoy it