Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland | Teen Ink

Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland MAG

Do you enjoy art or art ­history? If so, this book should be next on your list. It is about the famous painter Johannes Vermeer, and follows a portrait of Magdalena, his oldest daughter, through the ages.

The book introduces the reader to the painting in its present ownership, stolen by a Nazi soldier and brought to the U.S. Gradually the story returns to the day it was painted. The canvas moves through the hands of rich and poor in its journey. It was Vermeer’s attempt to silence his oldest daughter’s shouting and restore peace in his home.

The author skillfully depicts the life of each person who owns “Girl in Hyacinth Blue” with vivid descriptions of ­villages and those who ­inhabit them. It is clear that Susan Vreeland has talent and knowledge. Johannes Vermeer’s technique and style are described accurately.

I would recommend Girl in Hyacinth Blue to any reader who enjoys historical fiction, art, art history, or the work of Vermeer. The story is a captivating example of how a simple work of art can impact the lives of many.