Notes From The Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick | Teen Ink

Notes From The Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick

By Jimbo BRONZE, Singapore, Other
Jimbo BRONZE, Singapore, Other

Getting drunk and crashing into a lawn gnome isn’t the best thing that can happen in your life. But however, meeting a who he thought was a grumpy old man, and sharing his pain, and understanding each other is something that is valuable in your life experience. Alex Gregory, a teenage kid with parent issues, has rebelled on his mom’s first date with his third grade teacher, except he kind of failed and crashed into a lawn gnome. This, however, caused his mom’s date to be ruined and lead into another big fight with his parents. This was bad, but things seemed to sink into the dark when the judge assigned him 100 hours of community service at a nursing home, and that’s not it. He has to nurse the grumpiest, sensitive, twisted sense of humored man who mixes up Hebrew as he speaks, Sol. Every single day nursing Sol gave Alex more burden as he couldn’t find a dearth of human in this man. That was until Alex brought his special gift from his dad to the place, a Tele Guitar. Sol and Alex see that they share something in common, and they gradually become best friends. The 100 hours flies by as Alex becomes what seems to be more than friends with Laurie, his best friend. Alex decides to make an event for the people in nursing home, his own Jazz concert with the CHA-KINGS (musical geniuses). As the story progresses, he realizes that knowing people isn’t one thing, but bonding with others, and sharing love is a big factor that can change lives. This book is a great read for all people, young and old. The parents issue might be a bit too mature for young people, but I think they can handle it. ‘Notes from the Midnight Driver’ is a fast paced book, so if you’d like to kill some time, grab this book now. You may realize you’re doing something far greater than killing time by the end.
If you’re a writer looking for some techniques you could use, you should look at Jordan Sonnenblick, the author of this book. She’s one of the only authors that I know who can blend in clever, witty humor and dramatic somberness in the same book.