The Power Of One | Teen Ink

The Power Of One MAG

Bryce Courtenay's first novel, The Power of One, is a meaningful story about South Africa's racial tension in the 1940s and '50s, as well as about the main character (Peekay's) love of boxing. Peekay details his rich and exciting life, from his early life struggles with prejudice, through his terrific boxing career and beyond. The heart of the book relates to this prejudice that is forced on him. His response is to make friends with black Africans, almost unheard of for a white person at the time.

The spice of the story is found in its many terrific characters, including a German professor of music and nature named "Doc," a best friend named Morrie, and a wild African inmate named Geel Pier, a kind and funny old man. Peekay soon discovers what a great boxer Geel is, and Geel becomes his boxing teacher and a close friend.

Peekay's exhilarating boxing matches keep the story a nail-biter, and just when Peekay's dreams of becoming welter-weight champion of the world do not seem far off, he confronts the man who had cruelly taught Peekay prejudice.

I recommend this book if you enjoy excitement and humor, are interested in South Africa's past or have a love of boxing. However, the book is also sophisticated, in both its themes and vocabulary, so readers looking for a short, easy read are wise to search elsewhere

i love this !