The Summer People | Teen Ink

The Summer People MAG

This is an old book, published in 1972 and is set in the summer of 1939. Sometimes I tend to read more contemporary books, but this one caught my eye. The Summer People is the interesting story of two sixteen-year-olds, Philip Martin and Sylvia Pilling, old friends who seem very "suitable" to their families. Every summer since they were small they traveled in a group and stayed at Linley Bottom, a vacation spot that was slowly being destroyed by the sea. Sylvia thinks she is falling in love with a local boy, so she persuades Philip to help her by pretending they are romantically involved, (so they can get away from their families and not be questioned). This way Sylvia can see her boyfriend and Phil can go exploring or sailing. Philip isn't thrilled with the plan, but he agrees. Then he meets Ann, skinny, shy and "unsuitable." These two unlikely partners fall in love.

The whole book is actually written as a letter from Philip to two people who, until the end, are unknown to the reader. When I discovered who they were, I was surprised and glad. This is a happy story, but it's sad, too. Through the awkwardness and the joys of young love there is added an ominous dread of the future war, "Hitler's War." I recommend this book to anyone who likes a good love story. I found it unforgettable and I hope you will, too

i love this !