The Night Tourist by Katherine Marsh | Teen Ink

The Night Tourist by Katherine Marsh

By Arren Kimbel-Sannit BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Arren Kimbel-Sannit BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

The Night Tourist

Hyperion Books, 2007, 232 Pages, $17.99
Katherine Mash

ISBN# 9781423106890

In recent history, there have been many books combining Greek or other types of historical mythology with the modern world. The Night Tourist, by Katherine Marsh, is one of those books. But, before you say that this book is going to be over-worn and cliché, consider that The Night Tourist is completely different. Although it is true that there is some Greek mythology in the book, it doesn’t completely dominate the plot. Instead, it focuses more on the underworld and the ghostly beings that live there. More specifically, the book focuses on the New York underworld, the underworld where all of the ghosts who died in New York spend their death. The basic premise of the book is a boy named Jack Perdu ventures to New York to visit a specialized doctor. While in Grand Central Station, Jack meets a girl named Euri, who says that she can show Jack the hidden parts of the station. As the adventure continues, Jack discovers that Euri is a ghost, and that she was showing Jack the ghostly underworld of New York City. Jack takes advantage of the opportunity and decides to, with Euri’s help, find his dead mother and bring her back to life. As the adventure winds on, Jack makes true friendships and discovers his real purpose of visiting the underworld. Will Jack find his mom and bring her back to life? Or are there other secrets to be uncovered and plans to execute. Read this book and find out.

I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I have to admit, I was a little skeptical about the book when I heard about the mythology involved, but I was proven wrong. This book took a relatively popular literature idea and made it completely unique and enjoyable. Although the book wasn’t necessarily funny, it was witty to a certain degree and very smart. It was very well written and the author mixed the two worlds together very well. I recommend this book to everyone. Although it is a little bit on the short side, at only 232 pages, it is still a very good read for anyone, boy or girl, at any age.

I really enjoyed this book, and I think it should be on everyone’s to-read list.
This book is so unique, I cannot really think of others that you might like if you enjoyed this book. But, I recently found out that this book has a sequel, called The Twilight Prisoner. I have yet to read it, but it sounds just as intriguing, unique, and interesting as its predecessor. Thanks for reading, and remember, READ THIS BOOK!

Happy Reading, ______________________