The Thirteenth Child by Patricia C. Wrede This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I liked this book because it has an unusual setting for a coming of age magic story. The writer’s style is clear and interesting. The story line flows in a logical manner. Because it is a magical school/coming of age story it can be compared to the Harry Potter books but the setting is totally different. The Thirteenth Child is set in the old west but with magic. Where Harry is an orphan Eff has thirteen siblings, many cousins, uncles, and aunts. Instead of being the chosen one she is the unchosen one. Her nemesis is human nature and a plague versus Harry’s Lord Voldimort. She overcomes her enemy in one book and it takes Harry seven books.
The Thirteenth Child is a good example of Patricia C. Wrede's work. A classic popular story line twisted into something totally new. It has characters that sound real like people you might meet on the subway. Their actions have consequences. They have real problems. The infusion of magic into their problems makes their problems well, magical. They resolve their problems in real ways with just a touch of magic. After reading this book or any other example of her work you will not be tortured by unanswered questions instead you will be left with a feeling of contentment like having drunk hot chocolate.