Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson | Teen Ink

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

February 10, 2010
By mroyal24 BRONZE, Milo, Maine
mroyal24 BRONZE, Milo, Maine
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Speak” was an amazing book that I did not want to put down. Freshmen year trying so hard just to fit in, just to be normal, “one of them.” Had amazing friends but what happened? By the end of the summer Melinda had no friends. Mel didn’t even have her parents. With her mom working non-stop to meet her goal s as a sales women and her dad working as a post office manager Mel didn’t stand a chance.

There was one main character in this book and it was Melinda. Of course there were many other people who played a huge part in the book like Andy Evans or as Melinda would call him “IT.”
Then there were of course her parents, her mother and father. Then there was a very important person in the her life. He was the art teacher at the Merryweather High School. He helped Melinda see who she was all by assigning her a simple tree project.


This book taught me how to not take advantage of the good things in life and not to judge people before you really know them. Maybe there are reasons they are un-included from everybody. This book made me look at things in a different perspective.


I would probably recommend this book to teens. Especially middle schoolers and high schoolers. If they looked at this book in the same perspective as I did then I would think it would most certainly change the way outcasts are treated in school.