the beet fields by Gary Paulsen | Teen Ink

the beet fields by Gary Paulsen

February 10, 2010
By bob1234 BRONZE, Brownville, Maine
bob1234 BRONZE, Brownville, Maine
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The book takes you through a life of a 15 year old boy whose parents are drunks and he decides to leave them late one night. This young adult wants to act as if he's a grown man but he isn't.
I recommend this book for mid teens to adults.

As you follow him through his journey you meet new and interesting people each with different personalities and traits. One of the best things about this book is how the author changes scenery so fast one minute he's in the city with his mom the next minute he is in the middle of farm land hoeing up beets with his new Mexican companions.

The boy doesn't work because its good money he worked because he needed a place to stay and for him hoeing beets was a good option. Though this may be a short fiction book the way the author compacted so much information in only 160 page book was amazing.

When you near the end of this book you'll find that the book you're reading appears to be something completely different compared to the beginning, so many changes from the beginning to end. You will find you won't even recognize the main character.