The Watsons Go to Birmingham | Teen Ink

The Watsons Go to Birmingham

For my latest outside reading book, i read The Watsons Go to Brimingham. This books author was Christopher Paul Curtis and the copy right date is 1995. The genre of this book is African American.
In this eventful story, it desplays the hardships that African Americans lived through. This story was about the Watson Family who lived in Flint, Michigan. In this family the was Daniel- the father, Wilona- the mother, Byron- the oldest brother, Joetta(Joey) the little sister, andn the narrator, middle child, Kenny. Kenny's older brother, Byron, gets himself into a lot of trouble. After a while of always hearing about what he's done, Kenny's mother decides that Byron needs dicipline, and sends him to live with his grandmother in Alabama. i would recomend this book to middle school students because it can show them how harsh the African Americans' lives were in that time period.
The Watsons Go to Birmingham is a good choice for a middle school student to read. this book goes through and explains the hardships The Watsons' faced when they visited the south. many white southerners discriminated blacks and treated them unfairly. Growing up in the north made the long trip to the south very uneasy on the Watson children. While in Alabama, the Watson family stays with Wilona's strict and religious mother. Wilona's mother, Grandma Sands, teaches Byron and the other children how dicipline and hard work pays off. I recomend this book for middle school readers because it shows different values and not to take things for granted.

Jane said...
on Sep. 10 2017 at 11:23 pm
I love this book, my favorite part is where Kenny and Joey have to get all bundled up when they go to school. My mom is just like Wilona Watson when it comes to dressing me for the cold weather. Usually when I go to school I have to wear even more layers than Kenny and Joey!