Looking For Alaska by John Green | Teen Ink

Looking For Alaska by John Green

February 2, 2010
By cadence.mccarthy BRONZE, Vero Beach, Florida
cadence.mccarthy BRONZE, Vero Beach, Florida
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

“How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!” Alaska Young quotes. Alaska is one of those people that you will never forget no matter how much you tried. Miles realizes this the first day at Culver Creek Boarding School in Alabama. He meets a new crowd of people, not necessarily the type his parents expected their introvert son to associate with. He was never popular at schools, but, meeting the snarky Colonel, makes him accept the new surroundings.
This was not the experience Miles was looking forward to; quiet and dull nights were not in his future. With such friends like the Colonel was changing Miles, starting with that name. Pudge was the ironic nickname given to our gawky protagonist, the nerdy Takumi that can’t admit he’s not cool, and the Romanian beauty Laura.
And then there was Alaska, “The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who was an event unto herself.”
She’s the type of girl that you would do anything for and Pudge did. Alaska found solace in Pudge telling him everything he shouldn’t know.
Something happened to Alaska. Pudge is worried; the assembly at school is starting, and Alaska is nowhere to be found.

This book grips you with the characters that we all know in high school. A story full of adventure and pranks with five close friends. Wondering throughout the book, what the title means why are you going to be looking for a character that has been with us since chapter one. This has never been told better and as clear as through the eyes of Pudge the lovable, introvert, trouble maker.