A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket

A Series of Unfortunate Events is written by Lemony Snicket. The books are about three children, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire, whose parents die in a house fire. Their parents wish is that the children live with a relative until they are older. In the first book, the children are sent to live with Count Olaf, a very distant cousin. Upon learning that the Baudelaire’s parents left them an inheritance ,that they cannot use until Violet is of age, Count Olaf devises a plan to steal it and then get rid of all three children. His plan includes locking Sunny in a cage and trying to marry Violet even though she is just fourteen. But the children are smart and found a way to foil Count Olaf’s plan. In the end, Count Olaf disappears but tells Violet that he will get the family fortune if it is the last thing he does. In the second book, the children are sent to live with a very nice uncle named Montgomery, who is a herpetologist. But when Uncle Monty gets a new assistant named Stephano, the children are worried that Count Olaf might be him. When the children, Uncle Monty, and Stephano get ready to leave for Peru, Uncle Monty mysteriously dies. What will happen to the children? I am eager to find out.

I must say these books are very exciting and interesting. But, if you enjoy happy books with happy endings, these may not be the best books for you. Hence the name ‘unfortunate events.’ Even on the back of the book the author writes “I’m sorry to say that the book you are holding in your hands is extremely unpleasant.” “it is my sad duty to write down these unpleasant tales, but there is nothing stopping you from putting this book down at once and reading something happy, if you prefer that sort of thing.” It is very strange but he also writes that in the middle of the story. As unhappy as the stories are, they are addicting to read. They are just written so well. I cannot wait to finish the series.

ThisBreRulezYouSonnn said...
Aug. 17, 2010 at 8:10 am
Each book gets sadder and sadder... but its addicting, intellectually stimulating, and is enjoyable! :)