Leon's Story | Teen Ink

Leon's Story

By Anthony Bonacio BRONZE, Greenfield, New York
Anthony Bonacio BRONZE, Greenfield, New York

For my third ORB I read Leon's Story by Leon Wlater Tillage. The copyright date is 1997 and the genre is biography.
Leon's Story by Leon Walter Tillage was a short, but well-written story. There were a lot of details and it shows very well how African Americans used to be treated poorly. As you are reading the scenes can easily be visualized. The story also gives a good idea of what Leon's parents were like. It showed that they were vey religious and god would punish anyone who committed a wrong. In conclusion, it was a well-written story and I can easily recommend this book to middle school students.
There are many reasons why I could easily recommend this book to middle school students. It was very easy to understand and gives good examples of what life was like for African Americans when they didn't have rights. They had to sharecrop and most of the time they couldn't pay off debts. The story also gives good examples of how whites would hurt and sometimes kill African Americans and nothing would be done about it. One final example is that the story showed how African Americans were willing to fight to get rights. Those are some of the many reasons why I recommend this book to middle school students.
To conclude, I recommend Leon's Story by Leon Walter Tillage for a number of reasons to middle school students.

It was a good book.