Mississippi Trial: 1955 by Chris Crowe

I would recommend this book to fellow students for many reasons. One reason is that this book has a very good plotline. It is a very complex story with superb characters and descriptive imagery. When I was first assigned to read this book, I was a bit skeptical, as historical fiction is not my favorite type of novel. I much prefer books such as Harry Potter or Eragon. However, Chris Crowe kept my interest and opened my eyes to the prejudice ways of the civil rights era.

Without giving the whole storyline away, Mississippi Trial:1955 is told through the eyes of Hiram Hillburn, a fifteen year old boy who grew up in the heartlands of Mississippi. After moving to Arizona, where discrimination is frowned upon, he visits his hometown and befriends Emmett Till, an African-American boy from Chicago. For those of us who have not grown up with discrimination and prejudice, the events that follow will shock and sadden you. I highly recommend this book to anyone that has interest in the Civil rights movement, or to someone just looking for a good book.