The Color Purple by Alice Walker | Teen Ink

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

January 26, 2010
By Anonymous

This outstanding piece of literature is one that I will never forget and that will stay with me throughout my life. I highly recommend it for middle school students of a certain maturity level. The Color Purple is a truly remarkable novel and a story that is bound to make its readers appreciate all that they have but has some mature content and parts that are quite graphic. However, this is an inspiring novel that will leave you with much, much more than a good read.

The Color Purple is the story of a woman, Celie who has lived her whole life in fear of constant abuse; first from her father, then from the man her father married her away to. Celie had never known love, except from her sister, Nettie who seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. Celie kept her head down and stuck to herself, never knowing that there was more to life than just surviving; past caring about herself and what was done to her. All this changed when her life is shaken up by an unexpected visitor who is a contradiction to everything Celie thought she knew about life and the world. This visitor does what she wants, doesn’t back down to anyone, and could care less what anyone thinks of her. She never, ever does anything she doesn’t want to do, and refuses to let any man, or any woman for that matter, black or white, make her feel inferior to them. She shows Celie that she deserves more, and that she can have whatever she wants from life. And, for the first time since Celie lost track of her sister, she finds love.

The Color Purple is a powerful story that shows children, and even adults, of our spoiled generation how good we have it. It will make you appreciate the things you take for granted. Alice Walker’s novel, The Color Purple is, in my opinion, well worth reading.