The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd | Teen Ink

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

January 25, 2010
By Anonymous

The Book is set in Sylvan, South Carolina 1964. Where segregation was still in place. The main character, 14 year old Lily Owens is living with her abusive father T. Ray and her nanny/ house keeper Rosaleen. Soon in the book, Lily finds herself out of place and runs away with Rosaleen, in search of her mothers past. The travels lead them to Tiburon, South Carolina. There she meets the Boatwright Sisters; August. May, and June. They own a honey business and invite Lily and Rosaleen to stay and work for the sisters. From there the story continues.


I would definitely recommend this book to my friend or classmate. It is an amazing book filled with appealing details and language. The book is a master pieces filled with love, joy, and sorrow. The book keeps you on your toes, while Lily finds more about her mother. The Book had an amazing plot line, which made it easier to understand.


This book made me really think about how lucky I have it, compare to the less

myself into someone else’s shoes. One part I didn’t like about the book was how Lily keeps her feeling to herself but also kept things that should have been let go. For example, how lily by the end of the book still doesn’t believe her mother loved her. But other wise I loved the book and I recommend it for all female readers looking for a heat welling story about love.