The Watson's Go to Birmingham - 1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis | Teen Ink

The Watson's Go to Birmingham - 1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis

January 25, 2010
By Anonymous

I would recommend this book to middle school students for many reasons. For one it is very easy to read and understand. The other reason I would recommend this book is because the main character, Kenny is very easy to relate to for some people. The reason he is easy to relate to is because he is an average kid who has every day problems.


This story starts out in Flint, Michigan with a boy named Kenny Watson, whose family is called the Weird Watson’s. Kenny’s family consist of 5 people, Wilona Watson, Kenny’s mom,
Big Daddy, Kenny’s dad, Byron Watson, Kenny’s older brother, and Joetta Watson, Kenny’s sister. Kenny’s brother Byron is the school bully who gets in huge amounts of trouble by dying his hair, playing with fire, and buying food for himself without permission. Mrs. Watson threatens to send Byron to Birmingham to live with Grandma Sands, a strict old woman who doesn’t take no for an answer. When Byron pushes his mother to the limit, Mr. and Mrs. Watson decide it’s time to take a road trip to Birmingham Alabama to punish Byron. The whole family goes down to Birmingham to meet with Grandma Sands. By the time the Watson’s return they hope Byron will learn to respect others and not do ignorant things by working for Grandma Sands.