Of Mice and Men This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Unknown

Initially, I decided to read John Steinbeck's Of Miceand Men for dubious reasons - to be more well-read and maybe earn browniepoints with future English teachers. Plus, Of Mice and Men is one of the shortestclassics. Thus, it would be a correct assumption that when I sat down to ventureinto the world of literature, my attitude was certainly not one of eagerness.Despite all this, I was completely enraptured. Steinbeck transported me from myhonors English mindset to delight with simple language and what I refer to as"down on the farm" dialect.

Of Mice and Men focuses onthe most important of human relationships: between a man and his best friend. Inthis case, however, the relationship is atypical, since Lennie is a large manwith a child's mind and his friend George seems both fiercely angry andprotective.

Steinbeck describes George and Lennie's journeys, oftenrevealing how the simple-minded are abused in society. Dialogue is entertainingand thought-provoking, as the reader is invited back to childhood by Lennie.Of Mice and Men entertains the child within while wrenching the hearts ofthose who have faced life's cruelties. The reader must be warned about thelanguage - it harshly expresses the anger of the world.

This novel isperfect for anyone who wants to become more educated about the many types ofwritings that are timeless. Of Mice and Men is also a good choice for onewho needs to be reminded of life's simple pleasures. Sometimes it is just nice tostop and pat the bunnies.