Warriors Don't Cry | Teen Ink

Warriors Don't Cry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

What was it like growing up black in the United Statesduring the beginning of integration? Warriors Don't Cry tells the story of MelbaPattillo, one of nine African-American children chosen to integrate Little Rock'sCentral High School.

In 1954, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled to endsegregated schools. Arkansas governor Orval Faubus decided to ignore this rulingand not allow blacks in schools. The nine students fought to go to the white highschool, and succeeded.

Once they began attending Central High, however,many problems arose. Riots broke out, mobs attempted to hang them and teachersignored other students' insults during class. The nine struggled through theiryear at Central High, constantly harrased, tripped and even targeted with flyingsticks of dynamite, but somehow they survived.

This account of the manyinjustices suffered by African-Americans is an eye opener to those oblivious tohow violent our country has been. Many American youth have grown up notwitnessing the discrimination and hatred that were all too common in the earlyand mid-20th century.

Warriors Don't Cry clearly expresses the author'sdeep pain and emotion, and is an excellent example of what many American citizensexperienced. Thanks to the attempts of those nine and many others, students cannow go to schools with those of many races and ethnic backgrounds. They showedthat if you want something enough, you can win the struggle.

i love this !