Lords and Ladies | Teen Ink

Lords and Ladies MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

   Lords and Ladies: A Novel of Discworld is a parody oftitanic proportions, comically mimicking Shakespeare's classic A MidsummerNight's Dream. But do not consider this novel hackneyed!

Lords and Ladiesis part of a free-flowing series. Englishman Terry Pratchett's writings areunique because of his way with dialogue. The plot rolls from conflict toconflict, with hardly a breath between ironic sayings, cute sarcasm and universaltruths exploited throughout. Teenagers and adults alike will enjoy this book, andI encourage all fans of comical literature to read it.

The novel beginswith the witches of Lancre returning from a year-long quest. They discover, totheir surprise and annoyance, a powerful witch who, at the age of 17, lacksknowledge and experience. But just try telling her that! This young lady receivedher powers from the elf faerie queen as part of a plot to allow the faeries toreturn to the world of humans, from whence they were cast out. The witches ofLancre, including Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat, are not about to letthis happen.

The similarity of plot between A Midsummer Night's Dream andLords and Ladies left me with a smile on my face and the urge to read more ofTerry Pratchett's novels.