Cool Colleges | Teen Ink

Cool Colleges MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

I was very impressed with the individuality of CoolColleges: For the Hyper-Intelligent, Self-Directed, Late Blooming, and Just PlainDifferent. While most college books contain lots of diagrams and, as PresidentBush would say, "fuzzy numbers," this one is full of interesting,helpful tidbits, including quotes from currently enrolled students.

Whilestatistics are certainly important, they do not reveal whether a college is rightfor you. Cool Colleges has more information to give you a feel for what theschools are about, what campus life is like and what will help you getaccepted.

A few features stand out. First and foremost, the introductiongives priceless insight into the author and the book. As Asher discusseseverything from his own college experience to why and how he wrote the book, thereader starts to realize why this is truly a college guide unlike any other: itrecognizes students as individuals.

Second, although the book is notalways alphabetical, I found its organization very helpful. The table of contentsdivides schools into categories such as prep, Ivy League, specialty andminority-focused. In the introduction, the author proposes three methods forreading this book and explains why he organized the book the way hedid.

Another important feature is the Cross Apps, a section that can helpyou find colleges similar to the ones you are interested in.

Finally,this book contains the addresses, phone numbers and websites of all theaccredited four-year colleges and universities in the United States and Canada sothat even if a college isn't reviewed you can still get information onit.

Even though this book is an excellent resource, I recommend you use itas a supplement to a college guidebook that has figures and statistics. CoolColleges: For the Hyper-Intelligent, Self-Directed, Late Blooming, and Just PlainDifferent is one of the most reader-friendly resources I have ever used, and Irecommend it to all students who plan to research colleges!

i love this !