Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance combines thedepth and influence of a philosophy textbook with the personality of a novel. Thenarrator treads through an ocean of events, making the insignificant significantand the mysterious obvious in his wake. The book is also an intriguing tale of aonce-great philosopher's struggle to come to terms with his past life.

Throughout the novel, Pirsig slowly reveals the truth about his characters. Thenarrator seems to understand nearly everything; he contemplates other characters'words and movements, and is able to explain their personalities with strikingdetail. Even when he seems to have backed himself into a logical corner, he useshis mastery of language to justify his ideas.

The entire book is like aroller coaster, often making the reader feel as though the book is about to fallthrough a logical loophole. It always stays on course, though, racing around afixed path which gives the reader glimpses into many ideas beyond.

Although Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is well-written and exciting,its real value lies in its impact on the reader. This book delves deeply intophilosophy, raising questions ranging from why some people don't care for theirmotorcycles to the scientific feasibility of ghosts. I highly recommend it forthe priceless lessons it teaches about life.

Seelix said...
Wow, I had never heard of this book before, but now I'm defently going to check it out. Thanks!