Smack | Teen Ink

Smack MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

   Smack took me out of my world and threw me into some kindof hell. This book tells many versions of one story about people who live on thestreets, take drugs to get away from their problems and sell themselves (ordrugs) to survive. They only have each other. Some are dying; others break awayand recover while others break away and return to even worsesituations.

Have you ever felt you needed something so badly that youwould do anything to have it, perhaps give your life? How about watching yourbest friend's face turn blue because she overdosed on the very thing neither ofyou can live without? Would you still want the thing, even if it meant havingintercourse with a hairy, nasty, toothless 70-year-old pervert for a few measlybucks? How could something be so good, but make your life a livinghell?

The characters deal with all this and a lot more. Smack is anextremely good book for teenagers because it will affect you, for the better. Itwill open up your eyes and show you that the world is a nice place for some, buthell for others. A lesson I learned from this book: the grass isn't alwaysgreener on the other side.