Let The Circle Be Unbroken by Mildred D. Taylor | Teen Ink

Let The Circle Be Unbroken by Mildred D. Taylor

January 22, 2010
By mattyftm BRONZE, Battle Creek, Michigan
mattyftm BRONZE, Battle Creek, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Back around the 1950’s and 60’s, segregation was a fact of life in the United States. Let The Circle Be Unbroken is the sequel to Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. It takes place around this period of time, and focuses on what it was like to be black in America. It does a great job of tell such a simple story, and gets deeper into the story than you’d think it would.
The story is focused on a black family. After a break in and murder, one of their relatives around the scene of the crime, T.J., is accused of doing the crime. He is of course, innocent of murder. But that doesn’t seem to matter to the family when there is an all white court. A white judge, a white prosecutor, and even white jurors. In any normal situation today, that wouldn’t matter. But back then, there was a lot of prejudice against blacks. They’re worried that he’ll not only be given a guilty verdict, but that he’ll get the death penalty. It’s not very intense during the trial, but it’s still enough to keep you hooked, and the rest of the story is even more thrilling. If you read the previous book, then you’ll be ready for more than you got before, and then some.
Let The Circle Be Unbroken is a great sequel, and offers a lot for what you get. There’s a little court drama action, but also lot more for those familiar with the civil rights movement. If you’re just now learning about it, it will help you understand it more. But if you already know about it, then Let The Circle Be Unbroken will give you another perspective to it that you haven’t seen before. It’s a great book, and a good recommendation for any fan of historical fiction.