Double Identity by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Science Fiction- my all-time favorite genre.

I was already a big fan of Margaret Peterson Haddix when I read Double Identity. I knew it would be good, but the plot summary on the back cover didn’t do it for me. I read it anyway, and I loved it.

Around the time of her thirteenth birthday, Bethany’s Mother began constantly crying.

Bethany had no idea why- this was strange behavior for her.

Her parents dropped her off at her aunt’s house, an aunt who she’d never met or heard of. Bethany overheard a phone conversation. Her Father said “She doesn’t know anything about Elizabeth.”

Of course, that only made Bethany wonder who Elizabeth was.

Aunt Myrlie’s daughter, Joss came to visit for a few days. But Elizabeth’s best friend couldn’t hide the truth.

Elizabeth had died before Bethany was born. She was her sister. That’s why everyone in town reacted so strangely when they saw her. The question is why they look like twins- were they sisters, or something closer?

The novel turns over to cloning. The truth begins to spill out, and science fiction becomes reality.

Like I said, I love all of Margaret Peterson Haddix’s books. But Double Identity is my favorite one.

applesandfruits said...
Sept. 27, 2012 at 12:41 am:
Double Identity was a great book, i dont normally read Science Fiction but the plot and the story in the one was really interesting. i loved reading it and connecting all the pieces at the end.

tinytechie said...
good summary, but it gave away too much. i think a review should have more of your ideas for why the book was good or bad. i would love to see the next version. check out my stuff too!

readlikecrazy10 said...
just posted a new version of this, one that I think is a lot better... when it gets published, please have a peek! :) :) :) :)

readlikecrazy10 replied...
May 1, 2010 at 1:29 pm :
it's published now...for like a week it has been... PLEASE look, rate and comment!

ihatebooksiluvmovies replied...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 1:52 pm :
movies are always better then the books

luvbookslol replied...
May 25, 2011 at 4:31 pm :
this is the best book ever. they should make a movie

readlikecrazy10 replied...
Sept. 20, 2011 at 1:58 pm :
yeah they should!

ashleyforevr replied...
Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:21 pm :
I like this website.

readlikecrazy10 said...
umm... wow! i just wanted to thank whoever boosted my ratings up from 4 1/2 to 5 on this article. much appreciatated! :)

Katie said...
I liked your review, overall. I do think that you shouldn't tell that much about the ending. You want to keep the readers hanging, so that they'll want to read the book for themselves too. I love Double Identity, also. It was the first boook I've ever read of her's, and I liked it so much that I have almost read all of her books. If you really like Margret Peterson Haddix, you should read Turnabout and Running Out of Time, if you hadn't already. They are really good books, too. :) Margret Peters... (more »)

readlikecrazy10 replied...
Apr. 10, 2010 at 8:59 am :

yeah, this is NOT my favorite atricle that ive writen. it would be nice if i could take it off the site. can i do that? please read my other articles, i think they "showcase my talent" a little more. i just wrote a review on maximum ride, plases look at that!

i never finished running out of time, but i read most of it. turnabout disturbed me, though. :) i had a reading discussion with my english teacher about it, at the part where the nurse comes to the house, and we were both laughing... (more »)

readlikecrazy10 replied...
Apr. 10, 2010 at 9:00 am :
why did it post everything that i said twice? sorry about that... hmmmmmmmmmm.... weird...

readlikecrazy10 said...
thanks for reading! But PLEASE rate and comment. I want to know how i'm doing, and what i could do better. and complements are nice, too! Thanks a ton!:):):):)

Avatar2010 replied...
Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:25 pm :
I like how you opened, but when you got the the middle and end, for me it was a little choppy and didn't flow well. I really like this book too. Another good read by her is Burning Up, but I have to admit her Among the Hidden books are my favorite :)
PS my favorite things about your article is that it was short and sweet :)

readlikecrazy10 replied...
Jan. 27, 2010 at 3:27 pm :
Yeah, I probably should have made my paragraphs longer and I should've ended with "were they sisters, or something closer? Not my best work. Plz check out y shadow chgildren review, and tell me if you think it's better. Thanks! :):):):)

Katie replied...
Apr. 6, 2010 at 12:31 pm :
Definately! Ending with, Were they sisters. or something closer?, would have been perfect! That is a great idea to keep the readers hanging. :)!!!!!

readlikecrazy10 replied...
Apr. 12, 2010 at 4:14 pm :
IS THERE ANY WAY I COULD TAKE THIS OFF THE SITE AND RE WRITE IT? (SORRY THIS IS ALL CAPS, SOMETHING'S WRONG WITH MY ITOUCH.) :P

readlikecrazy10 replied...
Apr. 12, 2010 at 4:17 pm :
(IF ANYONE READING THIS HAS AN ITOUCH OR IPHONE, AND KNOWS HOW TO FIX THIS, COULD YPUYOU PLEASE TELL ME? AND ANYTIME I MAKE A TYPO IT DOESN'T REPLACE IT, IT PUTS IT NEXT TO IT INSTEAD. PLEASE HELP! 

readlikecrazy10 replied...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 10:04 am :
nevermind...