Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen | Teen Ink

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen MAG

January 22, 2010
By Rachel Crilley BRONZE, Grapevine, Texas
Rachel Crilley BRONZE, Grapevine, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.” This is one of the most famous opening lines in literature. It sets the mood and foreshadows the whole story.

Published in 1813, Pride and Prejudice was Jane Austen's second novel but has become one of the greatest works in literature. When my English teacher assigned it, I was apprehensive. How could I relate to a book written so long ago or find it entertaining? It seemed like an impossible feat.

But as I began to read, I soon realized how this is a truly amazing story about the struggles of gender, rank, and high society. Elizabeth Bennet, the strong, witty protagonist, learns about love, life, and the hazards of pride and prejudice.

The novel begins with a chance encounter between Elizabeth and the conceited Mr. Darcy. Because of his class, rank, and income, he believes he is superior and is quite rude. She is quickly convinced that he is overly proud and would never see her for who she is. But as the story progresses, Elizabeth's and Mr. Darcy's pride and prejudice toward each other morph into true love.

Austen creates an intriguing world with quirky, wonderful characters who will have you rolling on the floor laughing. It is an emotional roller coaster that contains real-life meaning and speaks to readers in ways other books never dared.

Pride and Prejudice is a heartwarming story that I recommend to everyone. It will cause you to reexamine your life and the thoughts you have about others.