All But My Life by Gerda ­Weissmann Klein This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

January 22, 2010
All But My Life by Gerda Weissmann Klein is about the Holocaust, Nazi propaganda, and the inhumane treatment the Jews endured during World War II.

The book begins when Gerda is a girl living a normal life until her hometown is invaded by the Germans. Her older brother is not there to look after her and her parents, so she must be the brave one and make sure they are safe.

After she and her parents are forced to leave their home, they are separated and taken to different camps. She doesn't learn until much later that both her parents were killed by the Nazis.

Gerda was told to remain strong and never give up, and she did exactly that. She was moved from camp to camp, facing many challenges, but somehow she made it through all of the horror and misery.

This is an amazing story because of the way Gerda recounts her life. How horrible and frightening it must have been for such a young girl. She must have been terrified. She tells her story with such passion, and it's amazing that she survived such abuse and heartache.

I recommend this book to everyone because it gives a personal perspective on a major event that affected so many.