Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Lifecannot be described as anything less than 239 pages of pure enlightenment. AnneLamott's peculiar but pleasing writing style appeals to men and women of allages.

This book is directed toward aspiring writers, but anyone will findit extremely entertaining. Lamott not only undresses the world of writing to itsbare reality, but also takes a humorous approach to the hardships she faced inher attempt to become a published author. Most impressive is Lamott'sunderstanding of humanity and her ability to make it funny.

As a directorof writing workshops, Lamott obviously has a gift for reaching out toinexperienced writers. Questions you've never dared to ask out loud are answeredwith unconditional understanding. The chapters focus on witty writing hints anddifferent literary elements: character development, plot structure, setting, etcetera. No matter what she is discussing, Lamott keeps readers chuckling with herhumor.

Bird by Bird is one of the few instructional books that is hard toput down. To potential writers, this "bible" is a necessity. To thoselooking for a lighthearted literary work and a few smiles, this book is exactlywhat the doctor ordered.