Dave Barry Slept Here: A Sort Of History Of The United States | Teen Ink

Dave Barry Slept Here: A Sort Of History Of The United States MAG

Attention all bored history students! Have you been suffering through tedious lectures about the construction of Abe Lincoln's log cabin or every law ever passed by the U.S. government? You can now rejoice for there is a book which makes history fun. In Dave Barry Slept Here by Dave Barry, you can learn all about our country without falling asleep. For example, there is only one date, October 8, to remember. You can read about Columbus' three ships, the Ninja, the Pi"a Colada, and the Heidi-Ho III, or the Hawley-Smoot Tariff which appears frequently in three chapters. There are also enlightening discussion questions, such as "Did any of your ancestors come over on the Mayflower? So what?"

Dave Barry's wacky approach to U.S. history makes this book extremely funny. If you appreciate Barry's sense of humor, you can catch further witty, yet slightly deranged, articles every Sunday in The Boston Globe. But if you intensely love American history the way it's written, do not open this book! To quote the book's jacket: "Barry does for the story of the United States what the Blitz did for London." n