The House on Mango Street This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

InThe House on Mango Street, Sandra Cisneros defies traditional form and grammar tocreate an honest and passionate work. Her simplicity is beautiful, as are herabundant images and metaphors.

Through the young and imaginative eyes ofthe narrator, Esperanza, Cisneros gives the reader snapshots of a childhood in animpoverished Latino family in Chicago. Each brief passage highlights an incidentor observation in her life, from the childish pleasures of a used bicycle and thecompanionship of neighborhood trees, to the disappointment of moving to MangoStreet and the guilt of losing a relative.

Gifted with effortlessstorytelling ability and poetic sincerity, Cisneros brings together these storieswith their common thread of cultural oppression of women. Esperanza watches asthe women in her life become stuck in hopeless poverty and loneliness due totheir fathers or sweet-talking boyfriends who leave them with too many children.Esperanza sees the young mothers with a baby balanced on each hip, and the oldimmigrant women desperately struggling to maintain their Mexican roots. She vowsto leave Mango Street and work as a writer, but never to forget the women whocould not escape.

Esperanza's growth into a young woman and her desire torise above her beginnings make The House on Mango Street a poignant book forstudents of any culture and background. Its concise prose makes it ideal forreading either in a single evening, or in short sections over a longer period oftime.

jose2001 said...
The book, "The House On Mango Street" by Sandra Cisneros is a great book, a must read for everyone because it show the life and hard ships of Esperanza, a 12 year old girl living on Mango Street.Mango Street isn't the best place to live, due to it's violence and crime rate, but Esperanza always finds a way to have fun. She envies all thy kids that are out late at night but she also loves the life she has, a happy family that cares and loves her. It gives a realistic feeling and mood on low inco... (more »)

Aneylahernandez said...
"The House On Mango Street" written by Sandra Cisneros is a well thought out novel with connections many people make. I believe people should read this novel because it shows the reality of the world and what different parts are like. The novel is about a Mexican girl who had just moved into a new home who thought that it would better than her previous home. She quickly becomes friends with the kids in the neighborhood. They are all going through puberty including the narrator. They always han... (more »)

neutron said...
Jul. 25, 2017 at 6:27 am
“The House On Mango Street” written by Sandra Cisneros is an exceptional and outstanding addictive novel. It is about the girl who just moved into a new house better than their previous apartment but not according to girls expectation. Besides dissatisfaction with the house the girl have good time with her new friends that likes to talk about boys. The girls are going through puberty so they like to talk intimate and to be around boys. The girl is struggling with herself and makes new plan t... (more »)

SchoolWork said...
The novel ”The House on Mango Street” by Sandra Cisneros entails the story of a young girl growing in a bad neighborhood with the responsibility of caring for her family. Growing up in Chicago helped the main character, Esperanza, grow as a person. I recommend this book to everyone because it is one of my favorites. This novel is an astonishing piece of art that should be cared for throughout generations, this book gives insight on not only the struggle but also tells us that a bad environm... (more »)

Tiger2020 said...
Jul. 19, 2017 at 7:52 am
The house on mango street by Sandra Cisneros is a book I think people should read. It tells about the struggles of growing up in a poor neighborhood as a Latina American. The story talks about Esperanza and her family First year of living on mango street in their new house in the city of Chicago in a crowded and poor Latino neighborhood. During the course of the book you will see Esperanza matures as she has her first crush, and begins to write as a way to escape her neighborhood lifestyle. E... (more »)

gssssss said...
The House On Mango street was an interesting book to read, it started slow but had a lot going on towards the end. The book doesn't really hold back when it comes to realism and that's something you can appreciate, an example of this is the abuse Sally went through. Overall i rate the book a 7/10.

Justin333 said...
The house on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros is a good book to read if you want to learn what really goes on.I think people should read this from high school age and up because it uses realism to the degree that a lot of books do not go to. It makes a good book to read and be informed about the life these people went through The book is about a girl named Esperanza that moved to mango street from an apartment that had broken pipes. She goes through many experiences meeting friends and learning ... (more »)