The House on Mango Street This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

InThe House on Mango Street, Sandra Cisneros defies traditional form and grammar tocreate an honest and passionate work. Her simplicity is beautiful, as are herabundant images and metaphors.

Through the young and imaginative eyes ofthe narrator, Esperanza, Cisneros gives the reader snapshots of a childhood in animpoverished Latino family in Chicago. Each brief passage highlights an incidentor observation in her life, from the childish pleasures of a used bicycle and thecompanionship of neighborhood trees, to the disappointment of moving to MangoStreet and the guilt of losing a relative.

Gifted with effortlessstorytelling ability and poetic sincerity, Cisneros brings together these storieswith their common thread of cultural oppression of women. Esperanza watches asthe women in her life become stuck in hopeless poverty and loneliness due totheir fathers or sweet-talking boyfriends who leave them with too many children.Esperanza sees the young mothers with a baby balanced on each hip, and the oldimmigrant women desperately struggling to maintain their Mexican roots. She vowsto leave Mango Street and work as a writer, but never to forget the women whocould not escape.

Esperanza's growth into a young woman and her desire torise above her beginnings make The House on Mango Street a poignant book forstudents of any culture and background. Its concise prose makes it ideal forreading either in a single evening, or in short sections over a longer period oftime.

marianaterrazas21 said...
today at 12:35 pm
The book the House On Mango Street By Sandra Cisneros is a great book and i completely believe it's a great book to read. The book is about a young girl named Esperanza who improves in homes to the house on mango street. Esperanza, the main character feels that she does not belong with her family. She feels out of place because of her dreams to move from mango street and escape a world where men and husbands dominate and abuse women for example: "And the story goes she never forgave him. She lo... (more »)
viviancatalan said...
Feb. 22 at 5:36 pm
"The House On Mango Street"by Sandra Cisneros is a real world situation that is inspiring and helpful. The book House On Mango Street is about a girl named Esperanza who had a wonder life before until her parents won the lottery and everything went down hill from there. They have a home that is big and have their own back yard and nobody tells them nothing and live with there family. But the bad news is that is old and makes a creek noise every time someone walks in the basement. Also she lives... (more »)
nich23 said...
Jan. 16 at 11:56 am
“The House on Mango Street” by Sandra Cisneros is a great book with a lot of life lessons and details that will draw you in with every page. The book is about a girl named Esperanza who grows up and deals with in what we call today the projects, or the ghetto. She is embarrassed about the setting of her early years and is eager to grow up and leave Mango Street. Also, she navigates through changes and relationships and boys. She meets a lot of strange faces and familiar faces, but they ar... (more »)
shylygarcia said...
Jan. 10 at 2:24 pm
The house on mango street is a very good book to read if you like reading about peoples lives and the struggles they go through. The story is about a girl who struggles in a poor neighborhood that she cant get out of. In my opinion I think this is a really good book because It´s interesting to read about someones hard time in life and how she overcame that. If your looking for a book to read I would recommend this one because this book it´s a interesting book to read and it keeps you from putt... (more »)
Lily">This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 8 at 3:32 pm
i love this !
Kimberly56683 said...
The house on mango street is a really good book written by Sandra Cisneros that states many different types of problems and daily troubles that the girl "Esperanza" had went through. I would say you should read this book because you could relate to some of the experiences Esperanza went through. It is a very nice book that states lots of imagery of Esperanza's life. There was many different scenarios that may or may not be relatable in many people's lives. She explains how she feels about alm... (more »)
sglover said...
the house on mango street, written by sandra cisneros is a very good book to read if you are ever bored. the house on mango street follows a 12 year old girl named esperanza. Her family had moved into a house on a street called mango street in the latino section of Chicago.Throughout the course of the novel, Esperanza begins to develop as she goes through puberty and other experiences through out her life.In conclusion, if you find yourself bored at any point of time feel free to check this boo... (more »)
sglover said...
a defdfdfvfrgfrsfrht
ironichipster said...
The House On Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros is a great look in the life of an urban kid wich you should read.The House On Mango Street is about a girl by the name of Esperanza who lives on Mango street a street with a lot of of interesting characters like Salley a freind of Esperanza who goes through physical abuse or one of her siblings who are diffrent in good ways.The urban setting give a good sense of the life many ethnic groups lived through during that time and it shows through the charac... (more »)
Rocklazy said...
The House on the Mango street by Sandra Cisneros. I was given this book as an assignment to read and review this book. I don't really recommend this book for many reasons and I'll mention why and even talk about the plot it has. It felt like someone's ramblings as they act as a girl named Esperanza. The book itself has many grammar issues, but they may have been done on purpose as many of the characters are children and or have never learned proper grammar in their world. The story is very munda... (more »)
blakewelch19 said...
Sept. 25, 2017 at 12:05 am
The house on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros is a good book to read if you want to learn what really goes on.I think people should read this from high school age and up because it uses realism to the degree that a lot of books do not go to. It makes a good book to read and be informed about the life these people went through The book is about a girl named Esperanza that moved to mango street from an apartment that had broken pipes. She goes through many experiences meeting friends and learning a... (more »)
Kaylee_Ward said...
My school made me read this book, I would otherwise not have gotten past the first page, it was so boring. I would call it a circular story but for the fact that it never goes anywhere in the process of getting back to where it started. The book sounds like Cisneros wrote what was published as it came to her, and never looked back to edit; it is filled with little segments that could have made a great background for a story if used as such instead of focused on. The first half sounds like what y... (more »)
Ginger Diaz said...
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros. I think people should read this book because it has a background of a latina life. Nobody really focuses on the mexican lifestyle so it's good to learn other things. Also because the author has a great point of view and it is easy to understand. The two main characters are Esperanza and Sally, they were best friends who lived next to each other in a not so good and some what suspicious neighborhood. What i liked about this book was that it was a fun ... (more »)
HaleyRiv said...
The House On Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros.It is very mind opening to see the way some kids live in this world.It is also a very good book I loved reading the book. It tells to story about the narrator Esperanza and her life. How she doesn’t like living where she lives and how when she grows up she is going to move into a better place. How she wants her own house that she doesn’t want to live in a apartment and be stuck on Mango Street. The one thing I like about this book is how she puts ... (more »)
BBlas said...
Aug. 17, 2017 at 11:23 am
The house on mango street by Sandra Cisneros this book was truly fascinating and mind opening it shows how these kids who have so little can achieve greatness if they strive for it and how even though Esperanza's family is poor she has such great dreams in the story there is a symbol for her dream it's a house because every time she sees a house she imagines herself in it having her own life you should definitely read this masterpiece the writer gives such details in such a small amoun... (more »)
h9743 said...
Aug. 10, 2017 at 11:34 am
" The House on Mango Street " by Sandra Cisneros is such a great book. It tells the whole life of the narrator, Esperanza, and describes everything so specifically. I suggest people that haven't read the book, you guys need to read it ! The whole nook is about the life of Esperanza and how much she doesn't like how she's living. She doesn't like the house she lives in or the clothes she wears, but the one thing she loves is her family. She wished they had more money, but she really cannot do mu... (more »)
GrantKG2 said...
"The House On Mango Street" by Sandra Cisneros is a great book. Its about a young girl living on Mango Street. Esperanza comes from a low income family. This place isn't the best place to live. She always tries to have fun. She quickly becomes friends with the fellow neighbors. I think that you guys who are looking for a new book to read i recommend this book.
jose2001 said...
The book, "The House On Mango Street" by Sandra Cisneros is a great book, a must read for everyone because it show the life and hard ships of Esperanza, a 12 year old girl living on Mango Street.Mango Street isn't the best place to live, due to it's violence and crime rate, but Esperanza always finds a way to have fun. She envies all thy kids that are out late at night but she also loves the life she has, a happy family that cares and loves her. It gives a realistic feeling and mood on low inco... (more »)
Aneylahernandez said...
"The House On Mango Street" written by Sandra Cisneros is a well thought out novel with connections many people make. I believe people should read this novel because it shows the reality of the world and what different parts are like. The novel is about a Mexican girl who had just moved into a new home who thought that it would better than her previous home. She quickly becomes friends with the kids in the neighborhood. They are all going through puberty including the narrator. They always han... (more »)
neutron said...
Jul. 25, 2017 at 6:27 am
“The House On Mango Street” written by Sandra Cisneros is an exceptional and outstanding addictive novel. It is about the girl who just moved into a new house better than their previous apartment but not according to girls expectation. Besides dissatisfaction with the house the girl have good time with her new friends that likes to talk about boys. The girls are going through puberty so they like to talk intimate and to be around boys. The girl is struggling with herself and makes new plan t... (more »)