The Red Badge of Courage This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

"Weldedto a common personality ... dominated by a single desire." This is just oneof many great quotes in Stephen Crane's The Red Badge of Courage, a heroic warnovel set on a Civil War battlefield. The book deals with one soldier'sexperiences just before and after the battle of Chancellorsville.

Cranewrites as if he were in that soldier's shoes, creating a good contrast betweenpeace and war. One moment he writes about a gruesome and bloody battle and thenext, describes a scene of peace and beauty. Also, Crane makes good use of themental war inside the soldier's head, fought with thoughts, and the physical war,fought with muskets.

The story begins with the soldier Henry Fleming justprior to a huge battle. Fleming is young and inexperienced, and must firstbattle the monster of fear before he can battle the Confederate Army. The mostobvious theme is the effect of fear on normally confident men.

This is oneof the best Civil War books I have ever read. If you like action, history andbattles, consider The Red Badge of Courage. With 24 chapters of pureentertainment, it is a showpiece of the author's writing skills.