The Red Badge of Courage This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

"Weldedto a common personality ... dominated by a single desire." This is just oneof many great quotes in Stephen Crane's The Red Badge of Courage, a heroic warnovel set on a Civil War battlefield. The book deals with one soldier'sexperiences just before and after the battle of Chancellorsville.

Cranewrites as if he were in that soldier's shoes, creating a good contrast betweenpeace and war. One moment he writes about a gruesome and bloody battle and thenext, describes a scene of peace and beauty. Also, Crane makes good use of themental war inside the soldier's head, fought with thoughts, and the physical war,fought with muskets.

The story begins with the soldier Henry Fleming justprior to a huge battle. Fleming is young and inexperienced, and must firstbattle the monster of fear before he can battle the Confederate Army. The mostobvious theme is the effect of fear on normally confident men.

This is oneof the best Civil War books I have ever read. If you like action, history andbattles, consider The Red Badge of Courage. With 24 chapters of pureentertainment, it is a showpiece of the author's writing skills.

2fvaifanua said...
Apr. 3 at 5:25 pm
In The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros is a great book. I recommend you to read this book because you may relate to what she goes through and you find different things out about a person. it is about what she goes through as a teenager and it is a book of many collections of different stories she goes through. No one really knows what someone is feeling or what situation they may be going through, and reading this book really opened my eyes to what other people not just myself my go thr... (more »)