Deadlines and Datelines: Essays for a New Century This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am what you may call an "active reader,"someone who regularly devours books. Of all I have read in my 15 years, Deadlinesand Datelines: Essays for a New Century is one that really deservesrecognition.

I received my copy from a teacher. At first, I imagined thiscompilation of essays and articles would be, well, a tad boring. Once I startedreading, I immediately changed my mind.

While I enjoy history and socialstudies, I never really took to politics and current world affairs; thefront-page news always seemed boring. This book, however, actually makes itinteresting. Mr. Rather has a unique way of sharing his view without soundingoverly opinionated. He reports the facts and details, and, for the most part,leaves his feelings out.

I found each article (there were about 100)clear, easy to understand and interesting. I would set the book down, only tofind myself returning minutes later to continue reading. The essays cover avariety of topics; my favorites include: Respect in Schools; Lessons of anAmerican Son; China; Are You Running for Something, Mrs. President? andmore.

This book is incredible and a great choice for anyone interested inpolitics and world affairs. The index and table of contents make for greatreferences if you need material for a project. Dan Rather is an extremelytalented writer and journalist, and I greatly admire his work. This book is atthe top of my list.