Letter To My Daughter by Maya Angelou This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Do you remember the last book that made you think? Think about how lucky you are, how you could be a better person, why people are the way they are? Letter To My Daughter, by Maya Angelou, does all of this, and more. Angelou's collection of short stories and poems, some light and some more serious, weaves a delicate tale of her life.

All the pieces are different, each with a lesson to offer. There are stories of hope, of belief, of discovery, and what it truly means to be home and to be loved. Angelou recalls each event that made her life with breathtaking detail, making each message as clear as if she were speaking to you.

Once I started reading, I couldn't put this down. The way Angelou is able to write, seamlessly combining plot and theme, makes each story draw toward a powerful conclusion that leaves you well aware of the troubles she has experienced. Her simple way of storytelling makes it easy to follow; the topics are carefully chosen to make as much of an impact as possible.

This touching short read will put you right in Angelou's shoes growing up as an African-American woman in America. I would recommend it to mature readers, since there is some adult content. The tales of her past mistakes and events will make you think, and make you wonder. Above all, this book will make you realize what a unique, interesting past Maya Angelou has had, making her the influential writer and person she is today.

Soledad said...
Like to know what is this book about letter to my dauther

thetiedyecrayon said...
May 26, 2010 at 6:10 am
I'm not giving out my age, just that I'm younger than thirteen (If I were, I'd have an account). I've read some of Maya Angelou's writing before and loved them. But would this be too graphic?

stargirl1331 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
if you're pretty mature and can handle some tough stuff, then I think you'll be fine. and of course if it gets to be more than you're comfortable with, you can always just skip that story and go to the next one, since they're a bunch of great ones in here.

*there're

thetiedyecrayon replied...
Okay, thanks. That was really helpful!

macey8211 said...
May 9, 2010 at 12:19 am
great job laura this is really cool

AveryG13 said...
This is a great review, Laura! I'll have to read the book sometime!