Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater | Teen Ink

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

By Ezzie BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Ezzie BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

“I could have screamed, but I didn't. I could have fought, but I didn't. I just lay there and let it happen, watching the winter-white sky go gray above.”

The book Shiver, by Maggie Stiefvater, is an intense story about a true love with complications. Shiver takes place in a small town of Minnesota. It's about a young seventeen-year old woman named Grace. Grace is mesmerized with watching the wolves out of her window. She loves to watch the wolves, but she especially loves to watch a fascinating bluish-gray wolf with beautiful, yellow eyes, who watches back. When her wolf becomes a human named Sam, they instantly fall in love with each other. Sam tells her about his life as a wolf, how he changes into a human with the temperature and that this is his last year of being a human. Grace and Sam try to find a cure to prevent Sam from turning into a wolf before the winter comes and he can never be human again.

Shiver will keep you continuing to read until the end of this superb novel. The way Stiefvater shows both points-of-view from Grace and Sam, helps you get to know the characters and their moral dilemmas. This book will keep you in your pajamas readings all day. Also, the way Stiefvater writes the first line and last line with supense will suck you in and keep you turning pages until you turn the last. I would gives this book two thumbs up and would recommend this to kids twelve and up.

on Jul. 11 2011 at 12:28 pm
creativewritingismything SILVER, Brookshire, Texas

"Creativity is a masterpiece in itself. The ability to manifest that masterpiece, and to recognize its worth, can be found in each of us, if only we would take the time to find our inspiration."
~Samantha Stewart (ME! :D)~

I loved the book and i love the review! Keep up the good work!

on Jan. 4 2011 at 3:08 pm
oopsie I made a mistake that should say "she should end the book with forever" not "you should"

on Jan. 4 2011 at 3:07 pm
OHMIGOSH I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MAGGIE'S WORK ESPECIALLY SHIVER AND LINGER AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR FOREVER I LOVE YOU MAGGIE STEIFVATER'S FOR YOUR BOOKS!!!!!! you shouldn't end the series with forever i never want it to endddd........................... .............................................................................................

gooky butt said...
on Jan. 25 2010 at 12:52 pm
wow. i love how the cover of the book has a red splatter for dotting the 'i'. It looks like blood underneath a bears skin:) keep writing about stuff cuz i like the covers of the books u choose

~twinkle twinkle~ ;)

on Jan. 24 2010 at 4:41 pm
I love this like i love my ear lobe

on Jan. 23 2010 at 12:01 pm
twilight_teen14 GOLD, Moline, Illinois

"And then we continued blissfully into this small, but perfect piece of our forever...." -Bella Cullen- Breaking Dawn.
"Gandhi said that whatever you do in life will be insignificant. But it's very important that you do it."
“Everyone’s stars, don’t get your hopes up, learn the ropes and climb the ladder and know in the end, that just being here is the best and it only gets better.”

Love your review! This is one of my favorite books of all time!

gibkh said...
on Jan. 19 2010 at 5:43 pm
Hey I love the review! good job! The first sentence really grabbed my attention. keep writing young one!! may the force be with you:)