Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

When you have lived in a society where all everyone wants to do is turn sixteen and become "pretty," what happens when there are people who don't want to, and rebel?

The enchanting young adult, futuristic fiction novel, Uglies by Scott Westerfeld is about a fifteen-year old girl, Tally Youngblood, who is about to turn sixteen years old. In Tally's world, tuning sixteen means turning "pretty." When you turn "pretty" you go through an operation that transforms you into an unbelievable, beautiful person where all you have to do is to have the time of your life in the city, New Pretty Town.

When Tally meets another risk-taker, Shay, Tally guestions how much she's willing to risk. While Tally and Shay are waiting for their sixteenth birthday (which happen to be on the same day), they are having a blast. But a week before the operation, Tally finds out that Shay's view on becoming "pretty" is far different from her own. Shay plans to run away and go live in a place called the "Smoke" where you don't have to turn "pretty," ever, and she wants Tally to go with her. But Tally, on the other hand, can't imagine a world outside of the city. Shay then leaves, without Tally.

That's when Special Circumstances - the people who protect the city when things get out of hand - get involved. Before Tally knows it, she has to go to the Smoke and bring back Shay and the others who ran away, or stay "ugly" forever. Just the thought of being ugly any longer forces Tally to go on the dangerous adventure.

Uglies kept me frantically flipping and flipping, page after page. Every second while reading Westerfeld's words kept me wanting more! The way he describes Tally's adventure from third person point-of-view goes even deeper than just seeing it in my mind. Westerfeld definitely goes above and beyond the boundaries of your senses. I loved every part of Uglies from Tally's thrilling adventure to the dreadful serious truth. Uglies is by far one of my favorite book. I highly recommend this book to ages 13 and up.

hootowl4 said...
love this book im reading prettys the second book now